- The Lodge
- Sports & Camps
- Tennis Academy-Youth Lessons
DES PERES TENNIS ACADEMY YOUTH LESSONS
The Des Peres Tennis Academy group lessons are a great way for youth to work on fundamentals and team work. Classes are available by ability from Red Ball, Beginner or Intermediate. Our classes are able to accommodate the recreational tennis player as well as those players participating in USTA Jr. Tennis Tournaments. Our excellent instructor-to-student ratio means your child will get the individual attention he or she needs to master strokes and build confidence. Both the Beginner and Intermediate classes will be split based on age and skill level. Classes will meet once a week for six weeks. Make-up classes due to inclement weather will be added on at the end of the session at the same time. Minimum 4/Maximum 24
- Cost: $85/Member & Resident; $100/Non-Resident
- Instructor: Des Peres Tennis Staff
- Location: Des Peres Park Tennis Courts 1-3
RED BALL LEVEL
The Red Ball class teaches the fundamentals of tennis to young beginners. Low compression red balls are used to encourage successful contact with the ball. Proper technique is emphasized along with racquet control, cooperation and movement. Lessons are incorporated into fun games to help children stay focused and interested while learning to play. All Red Ball classes are held on a smaller court with a lower net.
- Age: 4 - 6
- Time: 4 – 5 p.m.
- #2476 April 25 – May 30 (Tuesday) #2477 April 27 – June 1 (Thursday)
- #2643 June 13 – July 25 (Tuesday) (No Class 7/4) #2644 June 15 – July 27 (Thursday)
- #2645 August 8 – September 12 (Tuesday) #2646 August 10 – September 14 (Thursday)
The Beginner class is for students who are complete beginners as well as kids who have had some experience but still need instruction. Our goal in this class is for kids to be able to successfully maintain a rally, learn all of the different strokes, and learn how to serve and score. We emphasize movement and correct technique, all in a positive environment. Students will improve hand-eye coordination and agility, perform racquet-handling skills and become familiar with the tennis court. Instructors will focus on building a foundation and cultivating a love of the game through basic strokes and fun games associated with tennis.
- Age: 7 - 16
- Time: 5 - 6 p.m.
- #2478 April 25 – May 30 (Tuesday) #2479 April 27 – June 1 (Thursday)
- #2647 June 13 – July 25 (Tuesday) (No Class 7/4) #2648 June 15 – July 27 (Thursday)
- #2649 August 8 – September 12 (Tuesday) #2650 August 10 – September 14 (Thursday)
The Intermediate class is for students who have some tennis experience or have completed a few sessions of our Beginner class and are ready to move up. Students should be able to hit a tossed ball consistently or rally from the baseline. Players are expected to have knowledge of the basic strokes and are ready for the next level of play. Instructors will work more specifically on technique, agility and introduce strategy within a drill and game-based format.